Monday, May 14, 2012

A daydream come true on mother's day.

On this mother's day evening i'm sitting here remembering the day. It was gorgeous weather. I started out with a jog after I fed the little lady her "breakfast". Everything was green and soft. The flowers smelled lovely and all was quiet. The perfect combo for contemplating.  I was so excited for mother's day. It's a good excuse to stop and enjoy people you love. Everyone does. Street vendors sell flowers, there are special brunch menus, commercials are dedicated to selling pretty little things... Just because it was mother's day made me feel extra-maternal. I secretly hoped, while on the jog, that the kids would know, in their hearts, it was a special day and they would just be good;)  My # 4 (who is 4) has needed some "extra care" lately.  And as soon as I got in the door from my run full of day dreams and  "all is right with the world" sentiments, the bubble was burst with the whines of a discontented boy. And this is where God was gracious to me.  This mother's day was special. Because not flowers nor jewelry nor chocolates were necessary. I felt a special gift from God today. My momhood. I'm being refined by this process. That sentiment helped me to discipline my boy in love...which looked like sitting on a chair until the melt down stopped, sitting on the chair until the meltdown stopped, and more sitting on the chair until the meltdown stopped. I saw a vision for my boy. My disciplining him into being a God's man touched a cord that no flowers could've.   I have a lot of children. It's easy to fear that some will go astray, and worse still because of me.  I've come to a place of peace on this matter. I tell them the truth. I tell them that this world will hurt.  I tell them that this is to be expected. I tell them that there is better and we're not home yet. I remind them of God's promises and kindness...that we get things we don't deserve and we enjoy because He gives. I tell them that I'm a human...who yells too much, is forgetful sometimes, who can't meet their needs as much as I want to. But I love them. I'm helping them in their journey as I'm on the journey.   This is all a part of life and aren't we glad it's phases, both good and bad, are all helping us see something greater? What more can I give?  This mothers day was beautiful. 

5 comments:

  1. I love this Jamie. I can so relate to many things you said.. including the melting/sitting 4 year old...I love your honesty

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's our Jamie. What I love about you most is that you are so pliable in God's Hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Jamie! I had no idea you had a blog like this and wrote such wonderful things. God has blessed you with this gift of writing. Keep using it for Him!! Love in Christ, Janan

    ReplyDelete