Sunday, May 6, 2012

The one we haven't met

Was due on dec 30, 2012.    We had a suspicion that we were...but then, no way. How could it be? It just wasn't possible. So we waited. April 20th came and we knew. We were.  A faint line on the pregnancy stick. With the positive stick, initially, came shock, fear, shame.  How could we be so careless? People warned us that this could happen. How are we ever going to make it through another pregnancy? I don't want to do this again... We prayed. We chose to be thankful. So it was "careless-looking", "untimely-looking", "thoughtless-looking."  But not to us.  We saw past it. We saw that God gave us another gift. With that, we began full on the prepping for the hard next few months with the new little one's first trimester. We had heart to hearts with each other, we meal-planned, joined Costco, bought a freezer, prepared our other children's hearts with words and deeds... We let ourselves love this new one coming.  We started thinking of names and I was quite sure it was a girl.  We grew as a family.  I was taught to overcome fear of people's reactions and the nagging of my own heart's rebukes to the timing of all of this. I loved this child. Then there was pain.  I stayed up two nights, my heart was at peace but my body wasn't.  It was tense and scared. My heart raced.  I prayed those nights.  Within the next few days it was true. I miscarried.  What a cruel thing a miscarriage is.  It hurts your heart and your body at the same time.  My mind can't wrap itself around it yet.  I had this little one's due date stamped on my heart. I was taking prenatals and avoiding aspirin. I was walking around with that joy down inside when you know that there's a "secret" growing in you.  And then it ended. Abruptly.  I'm seeing my humanity. It hurts. Badly. I can't just be ok. My mind and heart were traveling down a road and that road doesn't exist anymore. I'm lost.  I know I'll be able to find the new road soon, but it isn't as simple and backing up. I can't back up. What is etched in my heart is there.  It left me confused. Was I ever pregnant? Is there going to be our 7th little child in heaven when I get there?  It left me discontented. What could have been? I wanted to be the mother of 7 kids. What a cool thing God could have done with a surprise baby just 10 mths younger than Chloe. It left me feeling like i am greedy. Who am I to be sad when I am constantly told in the grocery store that I have so many?...too many! But you see ma'am, this wasn't "too many" to me, this was my child growing inside me. I feel duped. And yet, I know I wasn't.  I've taken these raw feelings to the Lord. I've remembered the promises and the truths from His Word. I'm able to only hear Him and not the outside world. I'm not ashamed that we got pregnant. I'm ok that I'm confused and not sure about this whole pregnancy. I'll keep hope that there's a little davidson in heaven. I won't force my brain to figure it all out. I'll let myself cry for the pain and emptiness i feel. I'll let myself miss what could have been (knowing that it really couldn't have). I'll move on. God let's the human heart move on.  I'm so thankful for my other ones too. This has reminded me that life is fragile, that my children are not my own.  Am I willing to give them over to Him? Maybe not as easily as I thought, actually. These last few weeks have rocked my world and they've been confusing and painful and joyful and real.  And they've done what God so graciously wants for His children.  My heart and mind are His. So, if I may, thank you my little one. I only know that He knew you before you were in my belly. And He used you in our lives for the few short weeks we had with you in our hearts. Love you, mom

11 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss! I lost two pregnancies in a row after amelie was born and it was by far the most difficult experience of my life. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele or Shelly:) I wasn't sure who you were at first:) thank you for sharing. It's comforting to know that people empathize. I'm sorry for the pain you went through...and for that matter, your beautiful mom and her journey. It's a precious thing to know gals who trust God at His word.

      Delete
  2. aw, jame. thank you for this peek in to your sad, tender, real, beautiful heart. i love you and your seventh. do you think God named her Ruby? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie...my heart hurts for you. I am so sorry for your precious lost, but am so glad you have the unconditional love of the Lord who knows your heart. I'll be praying for you and Josh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet. I'm really really thankful that I know you. And I value your words of kindness and your praying on our behalf.

      Delete
  4. I think he did. And I couldn't get it out to josh without crying;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie, I'm so sorry for your loss! I know how hard is is to go through something like this even if you didn't expect this pregnancy. When I had my ectopic pregnancy I could remember feeling so sad and there were many tears. I didn't even know I was pregnant and when the nurse at the hospital told me I was my face lit up but then it hit me that something was wrong. As I laid there that night in the hospital I kept thinking of the new, at that time, Jeremy Camp song "There Will Be A Day," and I began to feel at peace and except that this is what God had already planned out for us. It didn't make it easier but there was a comfort that only our God can provide when you go through something like this.

    "But I hold on to this hope and the promise that He brings
    That there will be a place with no more suffering"

    Thinking of and praying for you guys as you go through this together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, I had no idea that had happened to you. :(
    I'll tell you one thing, after this, wee lives have become much more precious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jamie, I had a very similar situation to yours...miscarried twice after Scott....first time I was so sad because I had feelings of not wanting another baby and then guilt, then I miscarried again, when I thought the Lord had given me a baby to show me he had forgiven me... then we got Sammy and I can't imagine life without her:-) When those people in the store say anything about your kids in the negative, just ask them which one you should get rid of... I can't imagine getting rid of any of them once you see their precious little faces....good days and bad days. Love you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice, your words were precious to me.

      Delete