Monday, February 11, 2013

Candy hearts and roses

Heart boxes and roses,  doilies and candy hearts.  Flower deliveries and valentine cards all over the continent while pretty red paints the towns. Heart donuts, dinner reservations, wine glasses with lipstick smudges...
What a warm day in a grey February.  I love it, I always have. Give me hallmark once a year.  "Gimmicky" welcomed,  if it allows us to smother a day in love and sentiments.
 Earlier this month I thought a simple thought after having an encounter with my boy who needed love but didn't "deserve" it.  This thought, "love looks the most like love when it's not deserved" has been ringing in my ears these days.  
It's as easy as breathing for me to show love in various ways.  A little trinket here or there, a bear hug and a peck on the forehead, making a dinner and cleaning a house, a warm smile, a kind word. 
But the love that doesn't come naturally is when life is messy, a lover is cold, a child hurts your heart or you've been hurt by a friend...when love isn't a box of chocolates and a rose, or a momma's kiss on a tear- stained cheek...
God whispered to me today that love is a beacon in the trenches.  It's how He's defined it that always touches my heart.
 What is love I cry out to God? And He answers, "love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It ALWAYS protects, ALWAYS trusts, ALWAYS hopes, ALWAYS perseveres. Love never fails.
As I go through the slough of despond with a child where there are tears and bruises to my heart,  love is hope. Hope that this child will fall in love with the Lord and grow in His likeness.
As I do this thing called marriage with the man who cherishes me softly, but occasionally causes me to go to bed with tear-stained eyes and a hurting heart, love looks like this:  Always trusts...trust that we share the Holy Spirit who will guide us through the thorns into the beautiful garden again.
Love looks like the Father of the prodigal son who saw his boy from far away. Why? Because he had such hope that his boy would return, that he looked out and knew that the shadow in the distance had to be his child. 
Love is when Jesus prayed in the garden before his excruciating death, "for them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified". God persevered. God gave his life for us. Love is not self-seeking.
 During this valentine's week, full of felted hearts and chocolate boxes, I think of His Love.
Real love mostly isn't tied up in pretty ribbons and bows. There is sweat and tears. It's sacrificial. You get bruised, you give pieces of yourself away with it. But isn't that just it.  As our bodies break to love others, our lover heals our souls in a way that is beautiful to the eyes of the beholder. . As I take this Valentine's day to participate in showing love, I will be joyful in the easy ways to love and the passionate and painful ways to love. Both deserve to be celebrated.

3 comments: