Tuesday, August 24, 2010

On righteousness and purity

It occurred to me that I've been okay with- even "cool" with the idea- that I'm not perfect and "oh well". I've been agreeable with the fact that what I struggle with is okay- in fact, it's what makes me, me and at least I'm "real".

It isn't okay. It's wrong to be okay with it. God wants to get rid of my impurity. Being "cool" with where I stay-in the muck of subtle and not-so-subtle discontentment in this season of my life is not right.

Somehow, I've allowed myself to accept this. "It's hard being a mom of 5". "I'm a woman on a roller coaster of emotions". "This is a time of life where feeling bogged down and melancholy is just the reality."

Not so. Christ died for my sinful thoughts and moods and emotions. It isn't acceptable to "ride with it". I can't live in the same sinful mindsets and behaviors day after day. His Word says that Christ's dying and rising defeated sin. Therefore, from that day, when I accepted what He did and died with Him and rose with Him, He dwells in me.

I think I view His grace wrongly sometimes (so says Romans on keeping the law after being saved by grace). I mistakenly think that He'll change me...eventually even if I'm laze-fare about it.

Desire righteousness Jamie! Desire holiness, and the process of sanctification. "Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey it's evil desires. Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life, and offer parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness. For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace." -Romans 6:12-14 "Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles and let us run the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him, endured the cross, scorning it's shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God".

I want to oppose all sin, wrong thoughts, and behaviors that take away from the freedom and growth in my sanctification journey with the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. So true, Jamie! I love your honesty and your words really resonated with me...its so easy to make excuses for ourselves! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah... thats where freedom is. love you.

    ReplyDelete